CGS Track in Master Programs
Since 2012, CGS has been offering a research track for excellent students who are about to finish their Bachelor degree. It is open to outstanding Bachelor students in Economics and/or a related field such as Statistics, Business Administration or Mathematics) who are interested in entering a structured Master program in Economics with subsequent access to the PhD stage. You will complete all necessary course work during a two-year MSc-program and, after a successful completion (please note that there is no legal guarantee), enter directly the PhD stage. When entering this stage, you are likely to become eligible for funding. During this final stage, no more courses need to be taken; you will completely focus on writing your papers, finishing your dissertation and attending international conferences. The program language is English.
Currently, there is one option:
CGS Track Economics
The track in Economics offers an internationally competitive PhD program in Economics. Compulsory and comprehensive courses in advanced microeconomics, macroeconomics, econometrics, and mathematics provide students with a rigorous methodological foundation and a broad training to pursue research in any area of economics. Field specializations subsequently allow students to focus their research interests and benefit from the Faculty's particular areas of expertise.
What we offer
- Close supervision by and frequent feedback from faculty members
- Mentoring by a senior graduate student (second year)
- Participation in the faculty’s research seminars
- Potential cooperation with one of the Faculty’s research groups
- Office Space within the CGS
- Preferential consideration for financial support during the PhD stage after successful completion of the Master
- Preferential consideration for optional financial support through a Student Assistant Position during MSc phase
- CGS Track Economics
- A Bachelor degree (at the time of your application you must have completed at least 80% of the required 180 points)
- Excellent results in GRE, a GMAT or a TM-WISO
Please submit a letter of intent,a cv, a copy of your Abiturzeugnis (German applicants only) and copies of your academic transcripts directly to the CGS at weiler(at)wiso.uni-koeln.de. Application materials should be in English. Two recommendations should be sent directly to CGS. In addition, you must apply for a regular Master program with the university.For more information on the regular application procedure, please click here. For the doctoral track Economics it is the MSc in Economics. For further information on the regular application for the Master's program please click here. Application deadline is June 15, 2017. Note: Please note that all formal notifications of approval (Zulassungsbescheide) will be mailed at the end of July. But of course we will inform you about the results of your application for the Research Track shortly after the application deadline. For any questions concerning the doctoral track, please contact Dr. Dagmar Weiler at weiler(at)wiso.uni-koeln.de.